Pink Fire Pointer Minor cultural thungumybobs

Minor cultural thungumybobs

Everyone likes the music of Queen, in the same way everyone likes On the Road or Catch 22: they all seem amazing and sophisticated when you're 14 or so, but there really are better things out there and you realise it soon enough. Monday would have been Sir Fredward's 65th birthday and the Graun culture pages are wondering what he would have been up to these days. As is rightly pointed out he was a colourful, talented, beloved figure, but he wasn't that far out. If ever he was bought in, he sold out, at the absolute latest, by playing Sun City and. If Iggy Pop or Johnny Rotten are anything to go by he would probably have ended up shilling some awful, awful product.

The logical thing to do would be to stick up some Youtube footage of Queen. I won't, because, the anniversary reminded me of a long forgotten adult cartoon show, called House of Rock. It's about ten years old. I still find it funny, but probably shouldn't. It's borderline transgression-of-liberal-values type humour, the kind that was taken to revolting lengths by the likes of Jimmy Carr. If nothing else, however, it had the tragically underused line: "I WIN! I WIN! YOU LOSE! GET OUT! GET THE FUCK OUT OF IT BOLAN! GO ON, FUCK OFF!"

I say tragically unused, I use it on all appropriate occasions.